In 2016 I went in search of Gardens, mainly the top 3 gardens of Japan: Kenrokku-en. Koraku-en and Kairaku-en.

As I was going to the US later on the same trip, I flew into Narita, stayed a night at a secondary station on the Shinkansen line instead of going into Tokyo Station, and took the Shinkansen to Nagoya the next day.

From Nagoya, I investigated the Inuyama castle and a nearby garden

The immaculately trimmed bushes were fascinating

And so were the old bonsai trees

Inuyama castle was accessed by a steep stone-paved slope, all part of the security design for Japanese castles. I decided to climb to the top floor, and was well rewarded with a commanding view of the environs, as was the purpose of this fortress.

Back in Nagoya, I paid a visit to it's castle

Onward to the first garden at Okayama, Koraku-en

A flat plain greeted me as the garden came into view. There were also many water features

There are also some rice fields, seen here at the initial stage of planting

The grove of maple Japanese Maples added some color to the garden

Together with the neighbouring bamboo grove

The garden had it's castle too, where the lord of the manor stayed

Finally found some flowers: hydrangeas  and irises, with a rest house to enjoy the view

After visiting Koraku-en, I joined Walkjapan's short Nakasendo walk. We ended at Matsumoto and I went on to Nagano to catch the shinkansen to Kanazawa



It was Susan who introduced me to Kanazawa's Kenrokku-en


The trees are really fascinating, specially when the branches have to be held up by poles



This is the famous view of the garden


After a couple of weeks in the US, I came back to Tokyo and from there, took a train to Mito, where Kairaku-en is found. The tea house was particularly interesting, together with the views from it




Back in Tokyo, I paid a visit to the Imperial Gardens




It is just not possible to show all the variety of plants in these beautiful and well-tended Gardens gardens!

Comments